What’s in a name? For business, just about everything. Whether you’re just starting out or you’ve been providing quality goods and services for years, your company name speaks volumes about not only who you are, but how you operate. It’s typically the only chance you have to make a first impression and an opportunity to connect with or alienate potential customers. How can a brandable name help grow your business? Here are three compelling ways.
Photo by Eva
Let’s say you just finished developing a fabulous business idea. Now you have a great product line, an online retail store with a top-notch design and plenty of investors to back you. What could possibly prevent you from bringing in the cash? As important as it is to have the proper bankroll, great design, and a product line that consumers would jump through fire to get their hands on, it is equally important to establish the right business name.
In this article I will be looking at the rebranding experiences of a well-known company called Moz (formerly known as SEOmoz), providing a few solid reasons to change the name of your business if your company name is anything like the old “SEOmoz” name. There are several different reasons why a company may need to change its name but here we will examine just a few points made by Moz’s founder and CEO Rand Fishkin.
It is quite the phenomenon the way some words actually sound like what they mean. Take for example the words ticket, freeze and sting. These words are not onomatopoeic, like bam and boom, but somehow they sound like their subjects. The word “ticket” makes a similar sound to a ticket machine. The word “freeze” has almost the affect of freezing, a slow and gradual pronunciation. The word “sting” has a sharp and quick pronunciation, similar to the feeling of being stung.
Brandroot Latest Posts
Brandroot focuses only on content related to business naming. Before selecting the name of your venture it is important that you have a solid grasp of what you're in for.
- The First Amendment and Social Media: Are You Protected?Written on Monday, 11 September 2017 17:00
- The Oldest Logos in The World, Have you heard of them?Written on Monday, 24 July 2017 18:07
- What's In a Business Name? Would A Rose by Any Other Name Really Smell As Sweet?Written on Thursday, 13 July 2017 14:43
- Small Business Finance Mistakes to AvoidWritten on Wednesday, 05 July 2017 14:10
- Starbucks: A Lesson in What NOT to DoWritten on Tuesday, 27 June 2017 14:48
- Identifying Your Target Market and How to Make That Information Work For YouWritten on Friday, 26 May 2017 15:02
- How Best to Market Your Business on FacebookWritten on Monday, 22 May 2017 15:19
- Trump’s Tax Plan for Small Businesses – What’s in It for Me?Written on Friday, 12 May 2017 16:54